Do you have any boating experience?

June 26, 2007--We headed out of Tropic south down a painfully long washboard road through Kodachrome Basin National Monument. It rattled my brain around in my head so hard I thought it was going to bounce right out through my ears! We followed a sign to "Grosvenor's Arch" and found this very cool formation:















We then continued south through the monument, seeing even more wild piles of rock. I never used to understand the explanation of how the Grand Canyon formed--that a huge plateau just raised up and the Colorado River cut through it as it continued on its path. But after seeing some of the crazy twists and angles in the layers in cliffs and outcroppings, occasionally even vertical layers, it became clear to me that some truly unimaginable geologic events had happened in the region.















Finally we got down off the dirt road into the area of Lake Powell. We were surprised to find out the place I had rented a boat from over the phone was actually not on the lake, and that we would have to tow it to the water and put it in ourselves. Somehow, after asking tons of questions on how to start and drive a boat, the people still thought we were fit to back their several thousand-dollar machine off a trailer into the water. With some helpful advice from other boaters nearby, we finally managed and set off in the boat onto the lake.





























We spent an awesome day on the lake, learning how to drive the boat and enjoying floating around. Well, at least I was enjoying it anyway, cuz, well, I'm never not having fun when I'm on water, but my dad was having a little less fun trying to drive the boat so I happily took over. Don't I look natural in the captain's chair?


I had rented the boat overnight, so as the day wore on we realized we would have to sleep somewhere... without the boat floating away! We'd had a hard enough time docking at the floating bathroom, so we decided not to chance trying to tie up in the rocks. We eventually found an unoccupied beach and with a good amount of luck pulled up on it and anchored for the night. It turned out to be quite a picturesque spot, and we fell asleep to the rocking of the waves.



No comments: