Ocean Views

July 9th, 2007--As I headed further north up the coast I saw lots of animals. I stopped at an "elephant seal viewing area" which had probably a hundred of them laying around on the sand and grunting at each other. They are funny things; they just looked like a tube of lard that only occasionally flopped a fin or moved forward by doing the Worm.
















The squirrels in the parking lot loved the attention (and food) they were getting from the tourists and wrestled underfoot for any passing chump with a camera (ie me).

















Then I got artistic again for some good ocean/seagull shots.

















Heading further up the PCH I saw some great scenery (my pictures pretty much only face north, sorry--it's pretty hard to take pictures backward when you're driving and trying to look forward!!)

















This one faces south because I ran into construction... there were way too many times on the PCH where construction turned it into a one-lane road with bored men on either end holding stop signs.


I also got these great pictures by stopping at the Pfeiffer State Park to see a little waterfall onto the beach and a nice vista the other way.

















It was a beautiful, sunny day (sorry for the crooked pics--I promise you don't want me to actually take time to compose them!)
















As it got close to evening I stopped in Monterey for a bite. I went down to Cannery Row and Sly McFly's, where I had a great time chatting with the locals (bar staff, mostly!). Such a great time, actually, that I had to rush to get back on the road and didn't see much more of the town. I can say the people in Monterey are very nice, though!

















It was getting late and I was still trying to make it up to San Francisco.


I had to stop at one beach as the sun went down though--































Then it was finally on to San Francisco. I had no idea how to get where I was going, just an address and a not-so-great map. I can't even tell you how scary SF is to a newbie in the dark going over Nob Hill and other places where you don't actually know that there is a road on the other side! Eventually I found the hostel I was staying at but the "loading zone" was occupied, so I drove around the block 10 times before giving up and finding the parking garage. I gave up my car, checked into the hostel, showered and immediately went to the Irish pub I had seen as I circled. All I could think at this point was: For the love of god give me a beer!! I got my Guinness at the bar and sat down at the one unoccupied table in the place, right in front of the single guitarist singing cover songs in the back corner.



Before long I had company, met the singer during a set break, and received another Guinness for being "the most popular girl in the bar," who the guy claimed everyone had watched walk in alone and immediately wanted to talk to! I excused myself before long with all these strangers, though... I had a long day of exploring San Francisco to prepare for!!

No comments: