Seattle, Round 2

July 30-31, 2007--I took it easy the Monday after I returned, sitting inside Jenn, Grace and Chris' apartment working on my computer and looking at their spectacular view of the city from Capitol Hill. For lunch, I caught up with my college roommate Paula at a Vietnamese restaurant on Broadway followed by a dessert of Dilettante chocolates.

That evening, Jen, Grace, Chris and I met our other high school friend, Mark, at a yummy restaurant called Tutta Bella in the Fremont area. We went back to Mark's place to have some more wine and watch the sunset from his rooftop deck (it was a little chilly, so Jenn donned Mark's fiancee's Banana Republic eskimo jacket).


The next morning, I packed my stuff up and took in the views from JGC's apartment one last time, but from the roof. I was stunned as I emerged from the covered ladder at the gorgeous view and cloudless sky (in Seattle??!?).




Here's downtown and Mt Ranier:



















And the Space Needle, bay and Olympic Mountains



















Next I headed to Fremont again to meet up with an old friend I met in Australia at a restaurant I had been told about in Eugene... The Dish. Great independent sandwich/burger shop. We also took a spin past the famous Fremont Bridge Troll:


Next I headed downtown to take a look around. It was very pretty and clean from all the rain!


I stumbled across something called Freeway Park, a park built on top of the covered I-5 which goes right through town. What a cool idea!

The park also had these very cool fountains which cascaded into a false canyon... designed to block out all the noise of the city and freeway when you're down in it. (and yeah, having your pinky involuntarily stick out when you're drinking a beer is one thing, but when you're taking a picture--it's ridiculous!)






















Next I headed to the famous Pike's Place Market. Sadly my camera was dying so I didn't take too many pics of it, but I did get to explore the multiple floors of trinkets and watch the fish throwers. This place even had a fish with its jaw propped open for tourists to take pictures with that they would move via a rope hidden in the ice!


















Finally I made it to the ferry that goes from Seattle across to Bainbridge Island. Sadly, my camera took it's last picture of a cute dog as I was waiting to board, so I don't have a single picture of the beautiful crossing. Thus as soon as I made it off the boat, I headed to the nearest pub so I could get it charged again. I had some yummy drinks and food, and even ran across two Aussie guys who were temporarily residing in Vancouver, so told me all the best bars to go to the following weekend. Below are the view from the pub's deck and from the toilet in the women's bathroom:



















I drove off the island to the north to a hostel I knew of in Port Townsend, which turned out to be on the grounds of Fort Worden, the location where An Officer and a Gentleman was shot. When I arrived it was dark, so the pictures below were about all I could see. There is something very creepy about exploring military ruins in the dark.



















All around the grounds of the fort, which is now more of a camp, I could hear blues music emanating from random buildings. I wandered toward one of the sources and found a group of people jamming on a front porch. I Those of you who know me well may be surprised that I didn't walk right up and make friends, but for various reasons I wasn't feeling too social that night and took a video from afar instead.




A man that I stopped as he was passing informed me that it was a yearly acoustic Blues Festival, consisting of classes during the day and all-night jam sessions after dinner that can include anything that doesn't plug in to the wall. It's not every night that you fall asleep in your hostel bed to the sound of good live acoustic blues!!

No comments: