Why is it always sunny the day you leave?

July 12th, 2007--I headed back up the peninsula to San Francisco to see some areas by car that I hadn't by foot. I took part of the "49-mile scenic drive" through the Mission District, along Castro Street, and up to Buena Vista Park. One of these is Mission Dolores, but I'm not sure which.
































Beautiful views from Buena Vista:

















Then I headed down the hill to Haight Street (Pronounced hate. I got it wrong at least a dozen times. Finally I remembered it by the irony that all the hippies were preaching love.). Haight and Ashbury was the famous intersection of the Summer of Love and basically the entire hippie world back then. The area has become a lot more gentrified and yuppie-fied since then (apparently that has happened to pretty much all the old hippie hangouts) and I actually really liked it. The mix of tattoo parlors, cool restaurants, and hippie stores filled with incense and boho skirts really reminded me of the university area in ABQ. I'm pretty sure, though, that the man who asked me for some spare change so he could buy "a 40 oz" was just doing it for fun, though.





































I headed on from there north toward the Golden Gate. There were many more scenic views along the way of Golden Gate Park, Lincoln Park and the Presidio.































At this point I was in a rush to get up to Sacramento for the night, so I headed across the Golden Gate and snapped one last picture behind me at SF.






















I made one last stop in Sausalito, another former hippie colony that was actually started as a houseboat community... thus the rows of brightly painted mailboxes along the pier.

















Then I was on my way up north to Sacramento. It would have been a lovely drive along the north bay if it weren't for throngs of car heading along the same way to get to Napa and Sonoma.

















I finally got to Sacramento and up to the house of the folks I planned to stay with. Strangely, I hadn't seen them since they were my neighbors in San Antonio when I was 2... but we hit it off like great friends! They had just come back from 5 weeks in Japan so they entertained me for hours with their stories.

No comments: