Mount Baker

August 5, 2007--As James had some stuff to do around Bellingham, I took the Sunday to drive through the Snoqualmie forest to Mt Baker. Here's some pics of the pretty green farmlands and peeks of Baker along the drive (damn powerlines, always getting in the way...)


















I stopped at this place called Nooksack falls, where there were fences everywhere that said you WILL DIE if you go past this to try to get a better picture.


I also really wanted to stop at this place called the North Fork Beer Shrine, Pizzeria and Wedding Chapel, but didn't have time. Next time... next time...

There were lots of pretty views from all over the ski area. It turns out to be very hard to balance the light when you are looking at a bright sky but shadowed mountains and foreground... but the spot was named Artist's Point, so I had to try.















































































Then I drove up a very steep, winding road to Heather Meadows, an area that retains its snow into at least August. In fact, there was even a gaggle of white high school snowboarders going off a little kicker they had built who "hollered" at me and called me Shorty. Riiiight.

Here are the snow play area and its view of Mount Baker towering above it.



















It was late in the day so I didn't do too much hiking, but instead headed back down for dinner with James. We went to the Boundary Bay Brewery in downtown Bellingham and had a great time talking with folks who had just gotten off the bus for the last stop on their brewery tour.... meaning they were feeling no pain. I rather enjoyed this sign inside.... Beer Food?

No comments: