Olympic Peninsula

August 1, 2007--So this is what Fort Worden looked like in the day:



















I headed west from Port Townsend toward the Olympic National Park. After lunch in Port Angeles I drove up Hurricane Ridge to see some beautiful views of the Olympic range. This is the view from the visitor center at the top:



















There were deer everywhere. Somehow, even the ones with fawns didn't care about bringing them right through the parking lot loaded with people and cars. So much for getting out into the wild.



















I went a little ways past the visitor center to the end of the road, a parking lot for the Hurricane Hill trail. Two miles didn't sound that bad... until I hit the "hill." There were lots of pretty flowers and views to keep me entertained along the way, though.
























































There was one area of snowpack along the way that I had to take a picture on... and scared a marmot up along the way. I intended to make a snow angel but it was rather hard and wet!



















At the top there was a 360 degree view of the Olympic range and the San Juan de Fuca straight to the north.

Victoria, BC and San Juan Islands


















Bellingham and Mt Baker


















The Olympics


















Mount Olympus is the tall one!


















I couldn't stay at the top too long because I was being attacked by flies and bees, so I headed quickly back down the mountain. I snapped one more quick one before I got too far, though... I think the grass adds character ;-)


I headed back down off Hurricane Ridge and to the west around the tip of the peninsula, passing Lake Crescent along the way



Finally I made it to the west coast to the beach where I had planned to camp, Rialto Beach. I got there right around 9 for some beautiful sunset views.

































I had a backcountry permit and was going to walk a mile up the beach to the overnight area, but when it came down to it I figured why bother lug my stuff a mile when it will probably be dark by the time I get there, I'd have to pee in the woods, and I might get rained on in the middle of the night? So instead I opted to enjoy the rest of the sunset and sleep in my car in the parking lot where I could still sit on the beach as late as I want and hear the waves from my bed, stay warm and dry, and even have a toilet nearby. So I took more pictures and quite enjoyed the evening (taking long walks on the beach... by myself... how romantic ;-P)





No comments: